Sunday, January 23, 2011

Update Time

Hi all,

I have an update regarding my last post.  At OT Thursday, we had a long chat about the current situation at school and came up with a plan.   Apparently he DID tell them it was not required they accomadate the stander. It took all I had to let him explain because I was already so frustrated but, he said this after being told by the Resource teacher I would be able to stand a maximum of 1 hour a day.  Not even close.  Last semester I would have been able to stand for a maximum of 4 hours a day and this semester a maximum of 2 hours a day (1 hr. first thing in the morning during Resource and an hour during lunchtime)    The Resource teacher told him she felt it should be at home because it takes 2 hours of standing to improve bone density.  My OT says that yes, I should be standing more than my current 1-1.5 hours a day but, that if I was only tolerating 1-1.5 hours and there was space for there to be 2 hours of standing when I can tolerate it, he does not see why it shouldn't be at school.   I currently have about a 4 X 6 space dedicated to me for all my AT.  My OT sees the potential to get rid of my scanner and printer and keyboard (we made a list of all the AT had and nixed what wasn't crucial) so that we can downsize to a smaller, taller table to create space for the stander and I would still be able to use all my AT while I'm in the stander therefore meeting both my goals and the schools goals (One of their concerns was I would not be able to use my AT while in the stander).  My OT feels the positional change is crucial, especially by lunchtime to combat pain and muscle fatigue. So what next you ask? My OT, my mom and dad, the Resource teacher, and myself will be meeting on February 10th to discuss the whole move AT get new table option.  Basically, OT is coming in as a mediator because he says this whole situation has become a way to personal, he said/did she said/did situation and goals are not being met because of that; emotions have become the overriding factor.  Emotions have to be limited at this meeting and I understand that but, it is emotional because it is personal.   I will update after the meeting to let everyone know how it goes.

"He's not jaded or bitter, he's gonna leave the givin' up for the quitters."

J

1 comment: