Sunday, July 28, 2013

Waterskiing!

I got a text on Thursday that pretty much made my weekend.  We're having a Visually Impaired Ski Clinic and you are welcome to come out and ski this weekend. So in.  Was outside from 9-3 yesterday and 9:30-2 today (my shoulders were super tired, I was sunburned, and the heat was getting to me). I have very little energy at the moment.  Yesterday it was COLD! It was super windy and I think my sunburn was compounded with some windburn.  Got 2 sets in yesterday and about 6 wipeouts.  Oh well.

Today the weather was far better and I got another 2 sets in.  I am still struggling with the turns, but am learning that you simply need to move your head one way or the other. Gradual and gentle is key here.

Dad was my release person and did pretty well until he accidentally let the rope release when it wasn't supposed to.   Then, the rope got caught in the propellor of the boat when I had a wipeout so they had to take the boat in, and by take in I mean push it to the dock.  They got the rope out and carried on.

They also had dad try and side ski along with me and my side skier.  Dad hasn't skied in about 35 years.  I got a mouth and face FULL of water from dads skis.  It is too hard having 2 side skiers because I'm so worried about running into them.  My side skier can move out of the way fast enough.  Dad I was worried about.   My side skier had to hold me up for the first bit after takeoff because having dad there really threw me off.  To be completely honest, having dad side ski with me... the thought of it makes me super anxious.  I am not at all comfortable with the idea right now.   It takes a certain level of trust and confidence in your side skier to make you feel safe.  I have built that up with my current side skier.  I know he knows what he's doing.  In this particular activity, I do not have that with dad.


The lifejacket I bought in Vancouver is not good for waterskiing; one of the things you have to be able to do is lean forward in your cage and my new lifejacket has a lot of bulkiness which makes that very hard so, onto Kijij that one goes and we get a different one.  

They moved my cage onto the second most forward setting which makes leaning forward while having my bum back way easier.

Speaking of anxiety, I have found waterskiing to be very helpful.  It is one of the things that has truly helped.   Not only does it tire me out, but, when I am out on the water the only thing I am thinking about is waterskiing.  Keeping the rope low, looking at the boat, moving my head the right way etc. It is a good thing and I am super thankful to have the option.


Until Next Time,

J

"He's not jaded or bitter, he's gonna leave the givin' up for the quitters."

No comments:

Post a Comment