Monday, May 23, 2011

Will I Be the Same?

I haven't mentioned this yet, but as I type this I sit in a hospital waiting room anxiously awaiting for the newest addition in our family to arrive.   My sister is having  her first baby and we're all excited, although mom needs to calm down.  

I've been thinking about this since the day we found out and finally brought it up; will my neice or nephew see me the same as the rest of my siblings? What I mean by that is, I know I won't be able to do the same things my sister or brother will be able to do with the child.  I won't be able to take him/her swimming, play soccer, take them sledding, run with them, toss them in the air and catch them, support them while they walk, and so many other things Even babysitting could be a struggle.  

It hurts to think I won't be able to do all the things I wan to do with this child, but I can tell you right now that I will make up for it in other ways.  My hope is that I can teach this child that everyone is different, but no matter what that difference is, it makes us who we are and we all deserve respect.    I think  my sister and brother-in-law will do a wonderful job of that, no doubt, but I can do it from a totally different prespective.  

I sincerely hope that this child will not see me as any different compared to my siblings; I will love it just as much and be a part of it's life as much as I am able. 

I will teach this child that he/she will doing anything they want in the world, no matter what and I will show my unconditonal love and support, all the while hoping that is enough to make up for what I can not physically do.

Please keep my sister and family in your prayers for a smooth, comfortable and quick delivery.  Please also keep my OT and his family in your prayers.

"Only an Aunt...can give hugs like a mother,can keep secrets like a sister,
and share love like a friend."
Author: unknown

See you soon baby!

Auntie J.

No comments:

Post a Comment