Sunday, May 1, 2011

Those Friends and Those Times

Let's face it, my weeks usually consist of school, homework, sleep, appointments, and therapy (at therapy and at home).  This week was espeically busy and so, last night I went out with friends.  What was supposed to be supper at Tim Hortons turned into a 4 hour excursion to the park and a dark parking lot at 10 o'clock at night practicing proper pushing technique.  I think sometimes I forget that I am a teenager; that my life shouldn't just be about therapy goals and homework, and equipment.   Sometimes being a teenager and acting like a teenager (yes, I do that) is the best type of therapy there is.    

I'm lucky as far as friends are concerned, very lucky.    They don't see the chair, they see me. They provide help when I need it, like carrying me from the swing back to my chair or helping me walk or whatever, but they treat me like a regular person.   My friends are even kind enough to help with therapy goals and have even offered to come to therapy to better learn how to help me (some friends will come to therapy, others will not. My OT already thinks I'm nuts, he doesn't need more ammo :).   There's no other way to put it besides, they are awesome.  

To any of my friends who happen to read this blog, thank you for all that you do and all that you put up with because I know I wouldn't be where I am or as happy as I am without all of you.

To all my readers with physical challenges, especially those who are newly injured or to those with children with physical challenges who are young,  don't get me wrong, therapy is important, putting every ounce of effort in is important, and it pays off.  But, let yourself go once in a while.  Be just a person, not a person in a chair who needs to work on putting on there shoes, or stretching or whatever crazy shinanigans your therapist has you working on.  Just be you sitting with friends, or watching TV, or whatever it is you enjoy doing.


J

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." 

No comments:

Post a Comment