Friday, June 24, 2011

Break

I finished my last exam yesterday and just relaxed today.  It was really nice to be able to sleep and just hang out.  This was the first day in a while I didn't have something to do.  I'm so glad school is over and to be leaving all that stuff behind.  I am hoping to go on Monday and meet the Resource Teacher who will be managing my case while I take my online classes as she has also arranged for me to meet my online teachers.  I think I like her; she's helpful already and my online teachers have been, also and school hasn't even started.  That's a good sign.  Granted, people are typically gunge ho at the beginning and then change their attitude, I will give these people the benefit of doubt. Also, as hard as it was to leave OT,  when I got a hold of my OT to let him know about my choice (I know you're thinking "she seriously emailed him already? It's been like 2 days." Yes, yes I did) he even said he feels taking some time off is the best thing for me right now.  When your therapist tells you they feel you need to take some time off, you probably really do need it.  He also told me "you have done some incredible work this year and I have been very pleased to be working with you on some of it." That was really nice to hear because I feel like sometimes I didn't work hard enough, or do enough, or get anywhere, but when he can see how far I've come, it reminds me that I need to stop and look at the little things.  It can't all be huge leaps and bounds.  Rehabilitation is a slow process.  I will continue to work towards independence throughout the summer.  My OT is most likely going to discharge me and then I will be readmitted in September under the care of a new therapist to reevaluate goals and challenges that need to be worked on.  If you had told me in January he was going to discharge me (remember that fiasco that I JUST recently shared?), I'd have lost it.  But now, I am simply at peace (with my moments about it of course) because he has helped me get on a path of independence and there will be OTs and PTs and parents and friends to help along the way, but, ultimately, I am the one who has to keep myself on that path.  I just needed someone to give me a kick in the ass and that's what he did.

I applied for a couple of jobs and am hoping something will come of it soon.

Also, I feel boredom creeping in already.  That's a bad sign :)



 No one can cheat you out of ultimate success but yourself.  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment