Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yeah, I Think This Sucks

I say goodbye to another therapist next week.    My Occupational Therapist is going back to full-time work and because of that, will now only be an inpatitent therapist.  Does this make me happy? No, not in any way, shape, or form.  My OT told me that I have two chocies; I can either see another OT or I can quit going to therapy.  I don't like either of those choices. I tried really hard to hide my tears today as we talked (and I don't think he saw, so that's good), but he asked me if I wanted to see this other OT. I couldn't even answer him because I knew I was going to cry if I did so, I just shrugged.  He said that I didn't have to say anything and that I can decide later whether I want to continue with therapy.  I don't know, I just don't know.  We talked today about how happy he is with my progress and how well I'm doing and how much fun we have both had.  (This conversation just makes me cry more.) I know this isn't his fault and he's tried to make it work, but I guess that's just the way it has to be.  You try as hard as you can as a patient to not get emootionally attached but, that's hard as hell.  You share the ups and downs of progress with your therapist and there's no way to stop the attachment from happening. 

On a positive note, I did my hair by myself today with minimual prompting from my OT which is great.  Progress at Hippotherapy is also still awesome.  I got three rings around the pole this time instead of two (mom was videotaping and this was the ONLY part she missed :) She said my positioning is awesome and we even got my feet in the stirups (before now, my hips were to tight.)   I was also able to stand independently for a little bit longer and caught my balance once when I started to fall.  Next week, we will be working on functional skills with the horse like using the reigns and trotting, so I'm excited :).  My OT noticed an imrpovement in balance today when I was transferring into my chair and had to reach down to pull the footrest out of the way, so I chalk that up to Hippotherapy.

So I ask you to pray for a couple of things; firstt off could you please pray for my OT and his family as well as one of my Resource Teachers (she was in an accident on Monday night and has some fairly significant injuries.)  PLEASE continue to pray HARD that this strike can end (there will be escalting action tomorrow).  Please also pray that my appointment with my PT and Orthopedic Surgeon can happen next week and we can figure out what to do about Physio (it won't be my current PT who does my shoulder rehab). Lastly, please pray for hope, faith, strength, and wisdom for me as I deal with the newest of transitions and challenges in regards to therapy.

"How lucky I am to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye to.."- Unknown.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment