Thursday, April 28, 2011

We Went OUTSIDE!!

It should be a mandatory part of therapy sessions.  Ok, let me back up.  Since I got my power chair, I've been really hesitant about using it outdoors, especially where there are no curb cuts, so, we went outside to try curbs. It was cold and windy, really windy but, it was nice to be outside the normal environment of therapy for a while.    It was an adventure to say the least. OT expected it to make it up some curbs and well.... we got stuck. Back up. Try again. Stuck. Back Up. Try Again. Stuck. Let him try. He backs up. Stuck. Backs up. Stuck.  Finally he got me back up the curb and by this time we were both cold and decided we were going inside.   The DME was there so, he programmed the chair to have more torque and hopefully those pesky curbs won't be a problem anymore, I think I'll be asking to go back outside and try again next week after we try some new cushions. 

Yes, I need a new cushion . YAY! The one I have right now doesn't provide enough "cushioning" and doesn't fit on my power chair; my manual is 15 X 14? and my power is a 15 X 16.   I will be trying the Ride Forward Cushion and a few others so, we'll see. The Ride cushion won't be looked after by insurance, but considering I paid $700 for my Slimline, we'll figure out a way to pay the $450 for the Ride cushion. 

I have yet to hear back about the therapeutic riding. Yes, I am fully aware I just called yesterday; I am NOT the most patient person when it comes to therapy/medical/equipment needs.

On the way home from therapy today I had the most fantastic bus driver ever.  We got to talking about what I wanted to do when I was older and I said I want to be an OT (although after the stories from my PT and OT about their anatomy classes and the cow eye dissection I did in Biology, I don't know ). Anyways, he told me he thought I'd be a great OT.   He told  me about how his wife is a Special Care Aid and how things like lifting really shouldn't be a problem because they have lifts and stuff.    He told me that the people who discourage me, they're probably jealous.  I never thought about it that way before.  Anyways, the conversation just made me smile

What I'm blogging about right now is just random stuff but, it's positive and I feel like sharing those moments is JUST as important as sharing my rough days.

Continued prayers for the MRI results to get to my PT soon and for me to be able to start treatment with her would be much appreciated ( or other treatment besides PT if that's what needs to happen) and for prayers regarding be able to work out the cushion and therapeutic riding would be very much appreciated.  I know these good days and the progress I have been experiencing is due to you, so thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.

"I would thank you from the bottom of my heart, but for you my heart has no bottom."-Author Unknown.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment