Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Help Me or Get Out of My Way.

I'm shopping for a stair lift and running into really stupid people.  Sorry for not putting that more delicately.   See, we want to buy used because we will be moving soon (hopefully!) and so, we don't want to spend $3000 to put in a new stair lift or better yet $15,000 for a platform lift (eyes grow enormous).    So, I've emailed a few people (my inbox is now filled with names of random people :)   I ask them if it will fit on a straight staircase with six stairs.  "I don't know" and  "Maybe."  are the responses I usually get and NO I won't hold it until you can contact the manufacturer to see if the lift will work on your stairs. Um, ok. So, I'm supposed to buy a piece of equipment for over a grand because it might work?     Well, I guess you don't get my money and thanks for your time, you jerk.   Contact manufacturer who tells me to contact a dealer in my local area.  See, I don't think my dealer is going to want to tell me whether a stair lift I am buying from someone else is going to fit on my stairs. Just sayin'. It pisses me off that all this equipment I NEED is so expensive.  They're not luxury items and I'm sorry I can't walk so, go ahead and make a shitload of money off me, money I really don't have.  Government insurance has been a help with chairs (heavy, however), AFOs, and an outdoor lift which I will be forever grateful for, but private insurance sucks as far as covering costs of equipment in regards to my CP.   Please pray we can get the situation with the stairlift and van worked out soon.

Today, my Resource Teacher was asking me about university and whether I would need to take math.

Me: Yes
Her: Why?
M: I need it for a BSc in Phsychology and I need a Stats course to get into OT school.
H: Oh..... Are you sure you should be an OT? I mean after last week and being told you're a verbal learner/person.
M: Yes.... (insert slightly irritated tone here)
Conversation goes on for a few more minutes with nothing of noteable importance. 
H:  Don't you think maybe you should pick a job where you were less physically restricted?
M: (Insert pissed off tone here): My OT told me I could go into Mental Health and it wouldn't be a physically demanding job
Her.: Do you think you could deal with people who were suicidal/depressed or other things like that?
Me: Yes....
H: Oh, you do....
Me: (completely pissed off now(: Yes, it'w what I want.

She goes on and on about how if I were sick for even a day that would be a disaster amd I would need to keep myself healthy because I already have so many health concerns *my shoulder is all, but whatever).  I was just super mad because I feel like some people think I shouldn't be an OT because of my wheelchair, which is a lot of WHY I want to be an OT.   



" By forgiving and choosing to move on, one takes the power back to morph it into positive energy." 

J


No comments:

Post a Comment