Friday, April 15, 2011

Limits.

It's going to happen soon. Snap.  and I feel bad for the poor soul who will have to bear the brunt of it.  A bad day at school complicated by trying to schedule what feels like 1001 appointments= I want to crawl into a hole and hide for a while.  Also, I would like to tell a few people jump off a fucking bridge.


You see, my OT sent me home with a sheet about adults with Spatial Learning Disabilities because we are doing graphing and the school does not seem to understand why this is a problem for me. Basically, it is a neurological problem that manifests itself as a visual problem.  I took it to my math teacher. He was awesome about it and understood that it is a processing problem, not a visual problem.  He also said he would discuss with the Resource Teacher what they could do to adapt the assignment.  Well, brave sir, good luck with that insermountable task.  I also shared this paper with the Resource Teacher. What. a. Fucking. Waste of. Life.  She does not understand the problem however, she thinks she does so, she was mad because we were talking about how my mom, I and, my OT realize that graphing is a part of the cirriculum and has to be done.  but it is a daunting task in which I learn very little because I can't process it.   She took this to mean that my OT thought she didn't understand.  Well, you don't. Anyways I assured her it was simply for informational purposes (which it wasn't.  He knows she dosen't understand, but I wasn't going to say that)   She got extremely defensive and informed me that she felt she should phone my OT because she felt he did not know about  the training she had and that I was not telling him everything because they were adapting it. Wrong.  They have me using a scribe which does not change the fact that I can't process it.  They need to adapt it in a better/different way.  So, she says to me, he's saying graphing isn't an appropriate activity.  Well, yeah. What he's saying is, I have a brain injury and this problem is an effect of that and it is not fair to expect me to do something I am just not capable of doing.  When you have a spaitial learning disability, you have problems with direction.  So, when graphing, I don't always know whether I should go up/down, right/left. ect.  The Resource Teacher said to me the other day "I don't think you understand." Wrong. If you said to me x=-1 I would know you would go to the left one from zero on the horizontal axis.  However, if you tell me to go up/down/left/right, I do get easily confused.  This just proves that she is the one who does not understand.  She needs to accept that she does not always know and undertsand everything about me.  My OT knows my problems better than her, the first time he explained it to her, he told her the way she understood things was in fact, incorrect.  She does not know everything and she needs to understand that my OT is simply trying to do what is best for me and frankly, I don't give a shit if she likes what he does because it's not about her.  She takes things far to personally.  Plain and simple. I have a brain injury and therefore have some differrent struggles; I have limits.   Maybe I should let her borrow some? :)

"As we advance in life we learn the limits of our abilities."- Henry Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment