Sunday, April 17, 2011

Overbelieving

I was inspired by Rob , the writer of Fighting Monsters with Rubber Swords to write a post about overbelieving.  In his post, he talks about how he feels like maybe he has lied to himself about how much his daughters disability would affect her life; he sees himself as someone who overbelieves in her. He goes on to say that he feels as though all the teachers and therapists who work with her should do the same.  I whole heartedly agree. 

I have had so many therapists and teachers who wrote me off as "she's never going to do that" and guess what? I did.  Those people who lost belief in me just made me want to do it more to prove them wrong.  There is still one paticular teacher who seems to not believe in me, but in the scheme of things she does not matter because she will just be another person I prove wrong.  I have parents who overbelieve in me. I have two sisters who overbelieve in me. I have a brother who overbelieves in me.  I have a brother-in-law (at least this is what we're going to call him) who overbelieves in me.  I have an Occupational Therapist who overbelieves in me.  Because of them I keep trying and working and progressing.   They always let me try, even when the task seems crazy unacheiveable.  They don't give up on me, even when I want to give up on myself.   Overblieving has brought me places I never thought I'd be.  So yes, I OVERBELIEVE in overbeliving  :)

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her."  ~David Brinkley

No comments:

Post a Comment