Sunday, April 3, 2011

March is Cerebral Palsy Month

So enjoy.

Dear Cerebral Palsy,

It has been almost 16 years since you made yourself known to my family and me; 16 years since we learned the terms brain injury, spasticity, tone, tendon lengthening, rhysotemy, Early Intervention, special needs, standing frame, wheelchair, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and so many more. 

Because of you I can't walk. Because of you I struggle with balance.. Because of you my muscles are always tight.. Because of you I now have a screwy shoulder.  Because of you I have some seriously complex visual difficulties that I barely understand.

 Does it make me mad at you? Sometimes. Do you make me sad? Sometimes.  Do you make me frustrated? Usually on a daily basis.

But, because of you I am me.  Because of you I have met some wonderful therapists and doctors that I will NEVER EVER be able to adequately thank for everything they have done.  Because of you I am happy about every little step forward.  Because of you I want to be an OT and I want to help people; I want to be the best person I can be despite my challenges.

Because of you I BELIEVE in miracles and have faith.  Thank for all the disguised blessings you have brought into my life.

Your Grateful Owner.

3 comments:

  1. hello I am a blogger with cerebral palsy myself and would love for you to check it out thank for posting about cerebral palsy awareness month

    ReplyDelete
  2. my site is lifeofthedifferentlyabled.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    I checked it out a few days ago and it wouldn't load. I'll try again today!

    J

    ReplyDelete